Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Spring REWIND: Abby's Fairy Party

Okay, so it's taken me long enough to get photos from Abby's Fairy Party up here. We took SO many pictures (typical), and while I don't HAVE to share them all with you ... the pictures really capture the feel of the party. I admit, we (okay ... I) go overboard for birthday parties, but the kids and guests seem to have fun, and that's what's important. So, here you go. I'll try to keep the commentary to a minimum. When the girls got to the park (remember they were called there by "Abby of the Enchanted Briar," because the evil wizard had stolen all of the fairy magic) they were greeted by a mystery package from the "Busy Little Gnomes of Shamrock Park" (that would be US!) BUT they had to wait to open it until everyone was there and lunch and crafts were done. I LOVED watching Abby and all of her friends whispering about what could be in the package!Shelby Watson came dressed as a fairy, but ... ... when she laid the wings down at lunchtime, Marc Smith (Tyler's godfather) stole 'em. Guess he felt left out! Look ... another godfather! Uncle Aaron drove up to surprise his niece and goddaughter, Abby, and all of us! What a guy. We were SO glad he was there to help us celebrate Abby's special day. Doesn't seem like SIX years ago that he made the drive up here to meet her for the first time!Mom was SUCH a help preparing the spread ... and helping with everything else! I don't know what I'd do without her.You can't see the "Fairy Fizz" fizzing here ... courtesy of Pop Rocks ... but it was! And for the adults, there was "Enchanted Witches Brew" (beer) to quench everyones thirst on a hot afternoon. We ALWAYS seem to hold Abby's parties on the first really steamy day in May!
Little fairy houses as centerpieces (I used some Shamrock Park "nature" to accessorize) ... Looks like Nanny is enjoying the food. A good sign!After lunch, the girls tried their hand at some fairy crafts. The decorated goodie bags (or "fairy pouches") with nature, and they created their fairy rings. Seems like both crafts were a success! Never got to the nailpainting and glittering, because we needed to start the scavenger hunt.They found fairy treasure (maybe coins dropped by the tooth FAIRY?) in the bushes, then they had to play a game of "Musical Toadstools" (toadstools made by Grammy, Grandan and Nanny) to earn their floral crowns. Abby's Fairy Godmother (real godmother Auntie Jenn) revealed their fairy names. While Grandan (His title for the day? Eldest Gnome ... and one in charge of hiding scavenger hunt clues!) tried his best to follow my OVERLY detailed scavenger hunt "script!" Sorry Grandan! I still contend that it got long and involved because I HAD extra time while Tyler was sick at home that week. I got a bit carried away!But Grandan, Grammy, and Uncle Aaron (a.k.a. Busy Little Gnome in charge of taking orders from the Eldest Gnome!) humored me and good-heartedly ran around the park placing toadstools in the stream, clues in trees, signs on the "troll bridge," etc. while I walked along with the fairies (Abby and her friends) helping with the clues.The wands were found "growing" in the flower garden ... The jungle gym became a "cave" ... where the girls played a memory game with a bag of fairy treasure. Despite the fact that they were dying of thirst at this point, the girls really seemed to enjoy this game. Note: you can see the cute toadstool mats much better in this picture.Oh, THERE'S Dennis! He and Tyler were playing photographer for much of the party. Thank you guys! Little brothers and sisters were patient (like this cutie, Sarah Kate Smith) because they knew there would be cake soon! One of the last steps we gave the fairies was to "sprinkle" the pouches of pixie dust around themselves, and they might ... just might ... discover where the evil wizard had hidden their fairy wings. Some kids (like Shelby!) subscribe to the MORE IS BETTER theory! But they found the wings ... And off they flew!Until the cake and cupcakes made their appearance. YUMMY ... and magical butterflies to boot!What a day! Hope Abby enjoyed herself. She IS and always will be OUR little fairy!

1 comment:

Grammy said...

Oh what a grand fairy party it was!