Tuesday, May 5, 2009

My Cinco con Ty-o

Cinco de Mayo isn't quite the fiesta I thought it would be around here. Oh, who am I kidding ... it wasn't going to be a fiesta anyway, but I didn't think I'd be spending it at home with a sick child. Poor Ty (or Ty-o as I'm calling him today!) ... he has a fever he just can't shake, and he bounces back and forth between being lethargic ... and clingy. When the fever's down (a good thing), we are trying to accomplish things ... but he wants to be with me CONSTANTLY! If you've received an email or voicemail from me that doesn't make any sense, that's because I have a shadow that is asking incesant questions and wants to hug all the time! Now, I really shouldn't be complaining ... I'm glad I can be here for him, and I want to make him feel better. But, if we're not doing a puzzle, playing Ants in the Pants or another game, or reading books, he's really not doing much of anything but following me around. Fortunately, I just got him down for a nap. Common sense says - start getting some tasks done, but I need to share the sweetest exchange we just had when I was rubbing his back:

TY: (nearly asleep) Mommy, can you call Auntie Jenn and tell her I'm sleeping (FYI - Jenn is coming over this afternoon to deliver a little something for Tyler and she said she'd give it to him IF he napped.)
ME: (playing dumb) Well, why would I do that?
TY: She didn't "knowed" I napped.
ME: Well, why does she need to know?
TY: Because she's bringing a treat if I sleep. (Oh - so he DOES listen sometimes)
ME: Oh, I get it. I wonder what the treat could be?
TY: (eyes practically closed) Uhhhhh.... a toy maybe. Maybe a truck, maybe a tractor ... (pause) ... a toy one, not a real one ... like Grandpa's. (eyes closed but talking very matter of factly) Grandpa has several tractors ... a big one, a little one. They're all green.
ME: (debating whether I should tell him it's a shirt) You're right, I doubt it's a real tractor. Welll, why don't we just wait and see. I love you T ... have a good nap.
TY: I love you too Mommy.

What a sweet little dude. And he cracks me up every time he uses word like "several." I think I say that a lot. Frankly, he can be my shadow any day. Cinco with Ty-o is just bueno by me!

1 comment:

Grammy said...

Poor little Tyler. Tell him to get better because Nanny and I are coming to play with him.