Saturday, May 30, 2009

Simply SPLENDA-did Table Manners

Meet "SPLENDA," our dinnertime table manners award ... and new family friend!This particular "Keep Mommy Sane" idea came from a magazine article about table manners. While our kids aren't flat out rude at the dinner table, it's often not a relaxing experience due to the children's behavior: whining that they don't like the dinner choice, not sitting in their chairs correctly, acting crazy or generally being too silly at the table (often results in spilled drinks), interrupting while Mommy and Daddy (or the other sibling) are talking, not taking plates over, not using pleases and thank yous, repeatedly getting up to "let the cat out," begging for dessert when they haven't eating enough to justify it ... and generally NOT eating! A long list, I know ... but dinner is a time we want to enjoy, not dread.

So, when I saw this idea, I quickly clipped the magazine article to try when we had time. The author suggested you start each child with a certain number of toothpicks (we chose five, because the suggested 10 seemed like too many.) When Mommy or Daddy see a child breaking one of the table rules, or generally being a handful at dinner, the child has to relinquish a toothpick. And, if they are doing an incredibly good job, they might earn a toothpick. At the end of the meal, the child with the most toothpicks earns the "Good Manners Award," which he/she can keep in their room until the next time you play the game. I was going to buy a cheap trophy, but instead, was inspired by a group of inexpensive forks (sold for $1 at Wal-Mart). My original thought was to spray them gold and glue them in a "wand-like" design. But the glitter spraypaint didn't want to stick, so SPLENDA was born! Abby named her after the Splenda fan she's holding, but I'm a bigger fan of the dishcloth hair (bow?) and tie, and I figured I wouldn't miss one of my coffee filters to make a flower (I just bought a pack of 100!) Isn't she lovely? And, in case you're wondering ... Abby was the first dinnertime winner. Tyler had all but two toothpicks taken away last night, but Abby ended up with six toothpicks when dinner was done!

No comments: