Sunday, May 31, 2009

You Guys Rock!

I adapted a marble game to create this activity ... one that will hopefully help with discipline on LONG summer days! I call it: "Kids - You ROCK!" and it's similar to the toothpick "game" - each child starts with a certain number each day (we're fine tuning that after trying it yesterday for the first day). By the way, I purchased a bag of rocks and the little glass vases for $1 each at Dollar Tree. When Dennis and I have to repeatedly ask the kids to do something, if they are not listening, if they talk ugly to us, are cruel to their sibling ... you get the picture ... they lose a rock. And it goes into Mommy and Daddy's vase/jar. We're still working out the little details (suggestions welcome), but if they lose a certain number of rocks, Dennis and I will take away a toy or activity. I HOPE this works, as lately I've felt like I'm doing a lot of threatening when they're acting up:

"I'm serious Abby, lose the attitude, or I'm taking that book away." (You know she loves books, so this is a punishment to Abby) ... But then a little while later "Abby, I need you to clean up these toys you've left here. Abby? Abby? Please put down that book and come here right now and do what I've asked or we're not going to the party. 1-2..." (and eventually she ends up running to do what I've asked)

Now I know I can take something away regardless, without the rocks, but it's helpful (so far) to have something that gets their attention ("You've just lost a rock") and doesn't send them into a tailspin (which is what would happen if I took the book or party away right off the bat). Also, the sound of me plunking a rock from their full-ish jars to my empty-ish jar makes a sound that has gotten them moving. We'll see how it goes. At least it's a new approach and it's interesting to them. I've told them if my jar gets too full, I get to "spend" the rocks on some time alone ... some "Mommy time" if you will! They seem to get it, and are also, of course, very concerned when I am not taking rocks away from their sibling if THEY believe he/she is committing an offense. Little whistleblowers!

2 comments:

Mom and Dad said...

Good thing our children never misbehaved when they were growing up. Ha-ha-ha-ha! Oh.....I think you were one of those children Mandy!!!! Seriously, I know all parents go through times when their children push them to the limit. I think you and Aaron were scared by your Dad's "mad look." Remember that? Dennis...I'm sure Dan could teach you that same look in seconds. You guys are doing a great job at helping Abby and Tyler learn what they should and shouldn't do. Keep up the good work and let us know how the rock idea works. Sounds like fun.

The Smith Family said...

Okay really...look at Tyler's face...how can you possibly take rocks from that sweet, innocent little guy?