Sunday, May 31, 2009

Happy Housewarming!

A friend of ours, Al Underhill (Auntie Jenn's brother) moved into his first home on Friday, so we decided he needed a little housewarming gift. I don't think I have blogged about this in the past, so I thought I'd share. I've been giving variations of this gift since soon after Dennis and I were married. I love the tradtion behind the gifts ... and the practicality of the items (you know they'll be used.) You can also add other items (sugar - for a sweet life together if it's a couple, a pineapple - a traditional sign of hospitality, wine - for joy and prosperity, candle - so your life will always have light, etc.) So, Happy Housewarming Al, and here's a peek at what we gave him ...The card says:
This housewarming tradition comes from an Old Russian folk custom. Long ago, when an emperor and empress would pay a village a visit, merchants and gentry would present their esteemed guests with a round loaf of bread piled with salt, a sign of hospitality. When given at housewarmings, therefore, bread and salt represent the giver’s wish that the recipient’s pantry will always be full.

BREAD so you'll never go hungry
SALT so you'll have good luck
HONEY for a sweet life in your new home

We wish the same for you, Al. Purchasing a home IS an undertaking. We hope you’ll enjoy your new space! - The Schnittker Family

1 comment:

Mom said...

Such a great idea!