Thursday, May 21, 2009

Bug Boy

Today was BUG DAY in Tyler's class. As you can imagine, this is a BIG DEAL for a little boy ... license to pick up bugs without your mommy telling you that it's gross! Now, this particular theme day didn't sound like a bunch of fun to me, but I went along with it. We dressed Tyler in his bug shirt this morning, and after dropping Abby off at school, Ty and I portioned out sour gummy worms for the friends in his class. I don't have a picture of the finished product, as I had to print the tags while out and about today (I jammed my printer with nametags this week!). But here's what they said:

BUG DAY … what a fun way to end a GREAT year in Ms. Cindy’s class! Here are some gummy worms to remind you of today’s adventure … and all the others we’ve had! By the way, please DO “bug” us this summer. We would love to get some playdates on the calendar for Tyler. THANKS for “BEE”ing a great friend! - Tyler (and The Schnittkers)

Dennis, ever the helpful one, pointed out that worms are NOT bugs ... and that I might be confusing the children. Thanks Dennis, but I still content that they're THREE years old and were probably just excited to get candy!
The BUG DAY festivities included special bug crafts and snacks (that doesn't sound good ... but I assure you they didn't eat chocolate covered flies!). And the highlight was a bug scavenger hunt in the courtyard. Each child got a bug jar, a net, a magnifying glass and some bug tweezers. Then they had to find the plastic bugs (oh good, not real ones!) that Ms. Cindy had hidden for them like Easter eggs. I don't think I'm going to take my camera to school tomorrow. I'm all photoed out this week! So this is Tyler's last post of the school year. He has had a GREAT time with his teachers and classmates, and has visibly matured (physically, socially, emotionally and verbally) over the course of the school year. Our little guy has become a big boy before our eyes. I KNOW he'll be looking forward to seeing everyone again in the fall.

1 comment:

Amy said...

hey mandy - this has nothing to do with this post but i didn't know if you would check facebook this week. Where did you get the backpacks that the kids took on the plane to Iowa? Was tyler able to wear it or did he just roll it? We are moving to New York and I need to get the kids something that they can use on the plane but also on days when we go out and take activities with us. You can just facebook me the answer when you get a chance. Thanks Mandy
Amy Cook