Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Jell-O Watermelon

Mom found this idea on another blog ... and when I saw it, I was game! How could I NOT be? It's a FOOD CRAFT, made with JELL-O - that's right up my alley! First, Tyler helped me scoop the pink part out of a half of watermelon, right down to the rind ... Then, we mixed two of the larger-size boxes of Jell-O (we did a combo of cherry and strawberry flavors - couldn't agree on just one) with a total of 5 cups boiling water. Don't follow the instructions on the box or it won't gel in the melon correctly. Now, even using two of the larger (8 oz.) boxes of Jell-O, we did not fill our melon. But, we proceeded anyway. We let the mixture chill in the refrigerator for about an hour and a half (firm but not totally solid), then I added some mini chocolate chips ... some sank down to the bottom, some floated, and some I had to press through the Jell-O with a skewer. We chilled it overnight ... and voila! As you can see, I had to trim the top ledge so it was even with our Jell-O. But it worked.We sliced it up ... And dug in ... Correction: I tried the watermelon, but ABBY and TYLER dug in! Guess we should have waited to give Abby that bath AFTER dinner!

4 comments:

The Smith Family said...

YUMMY! Emily, Sarah Kate and I all loved the "watermelon jello"! Thanks!

Mom said...

Hooray! I'm glad it worked out. I wonder how it would look with blueberries rather than chocolate chips? For some reason, jello and chocolate don't sound good to me. Call me crazy ...

Mandy Schnittker said...

You know, I thought the same. I didn't think I'd like the chocolate chips with Jell-O ... although I rarely turn down chocolate in ANY form. But ... it was really good. Lorie and I both thought the Cherry/Strawberry Jell-O combo was good as well. I guess we could try it with blueberries, but we'd have to go pick some more!!

Mom and Dad said...

No, no ... Publix or Fresh Market is good for that. No more picking!