Sunday, June 28, 2009
Science Week: Celery to DYE For!
We kicked off Science Week today with a little experiment using celery and colored water. The kids formed their hypotheses (guesses!) about what will happen while this celery remains in the colored water for several days.
They will eventually learn that the upper leaves turn the color of the water (because the water is sucked through the holes/veins in the celery), and then we will use the same principle to dye some flowers for 4th of July. Now, I NEVER buy carnations (I prefer wildflowers), but we made an exception for this experiment. When we're done, I can't imagine they'll be as blue as the ones you seen in the stores, but they'll be festive alright ... and we can count it as a science experiment as well. I have such good little professors ... mostly! They both have lab coats, which we made today for use this week. I promise to take a picture!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Wow! When I arrive on Wednesday, it should be in "full bloom!" How very exciting to be visiting the Schnittkers for Science week.
Post a Comment