
Thursday, June 11, 2009
Artists Week: Day Three (Still Life)
We had talked about our "Still Life" for days, so the kids were quite bummed that we had run out of time to do it yesterday. I told them, IF they took quick baths and ate good dinners, we could do the artwork before bed. Wow! Nothing like an incentive! They were GREAT, and I'm glad ... we had a wonderful time creating our still life drawings. We used the children's charcoals that Alex Harrison gave Abby for her birthday.
Tyler wasn't quite sure how to get started. He kept looking over at Abby for direction, but eventually he too was "inspired" by the bowl of fruit and vase of hydrangeas (picked from our backyard a few days ago ... they're shriveling a bit!) Why is he wearing what seems to be a shower cap? Well, it's actually a Chef's Hat, fashioned to look like a beret. (only Tyler has it pulled down like a HAIR NET!)
We're French Artists (and that's pronounced art-teests!) Abby, halfway through her picture, announced that she really should have a mustache if she was playing the part of a French Artist. Oh Honey, THAT we can do!
After posing for a picture, she had to go ham it up in front of the bathroom mirror. She kept talking her version of French, which sounded, well ... kind of strange. I tried to teach her the little I know, but that's NOT MUCH!
Pierre here looks fabulous in his little goatee and stache, don't you think? It's just washable marker ... came right off!
Tyler said he was done with his picture much earlier than Abby, so he (as brothers do) began terrorizing her while she worked. Ah, life with a little boy!
But the pictures came out beautifully. We had a little gallery showing, and asked the kids about the "medium" they used to create their pieces of art. We also quizzed them about "their inspiration" and about their artistic background. Then, we purchased these priceless pieces of art for bedtime kisses ... LOTS and LOTS of them! What a fun way to end the day.
Oh, almost forgot. Earlier in the day, while at Home Depot on another mission, we checked out the paint swatches. I was looking for potential colors to update Tyler's room and fix the playroom wall, but Abby and Tyler had a great time checking out all of the hues. Finding your favorite color on a HUGE wall of paint swatches seemed like it fit in great with Artists Week!

Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Ah...I love a man with a goatee! He looks just like his super silly godfather! :) What great paintings the kids did, it looks like you've had a fun week so far. So...what color did you pick for Tyler's room?
Yes, inquiring minds want to know! As for the "Still Life" pictures... very impressive. They did a fine job with the artistic part and seemed to "really" enjoy being French for an evening.
Even though I have no artistic ability whatsoever, I'm very jealous...artist week looks like a blast!!!
Post a Comment