Friday, March 13, 2009

Wingin' It

While we didn't really "theme to our maximum potential" ... we did have a book theme this week! Abby chose it, so no surprise (!) it was butterflies! She actually wanted to pull all of her butterfly AND fairy books ... but when you add the fairies into the mix, we would overflow our book basket. Now, some of you will think I planned this, but I promise - I did NOT! Saturday is National Learn About Butterflies Day (I happened across this tidbit mid-week, AFTER we had pulled our books) ... seriously! So, this food craft (while more focused on the eating than the learning) fit our butterfly theme well! We also thought last night would be a fun night to do this, since Abby sported her wings all day long (see previous post about the One Week Boutique)!It was our girl that came up with a way to make the body (grapes on a skewer) and all three of us were excited about making an Angel Food cake (Dennis not included - he prefers to stay out of the kitchen whenever possible). A little bit of Angel Food Cake trivia. Did you know it rises quite a bit in the oven during baking? We didn't. But we learned this the hard way, as our batter started pouring out of the springform tube pan halfway through the cooking time. Oh well, we just needed enough cake in the pan to slice and cut into heart shapes (for the wings). The rest was easy ... fruit and chocolate dots!
Hey, I made it into a picture! I'm concentrating on making my butterfly exactly mirror image! After making (and eating) his dessert, Dennis grabbed the camera and took a few cute shots of the kids in action! This is Tyler's "cute" pose ...

No comments: