Monday, March 2, 2009

Sunday School Seder

This weekend I completed the second of three Seder meals I'm teaching for our Sunday School program at church (actually just the 2nd-5th graders). We're talking about the Moses Chronicles, the story of the Exodus, and how our Christian roots are so closely tied to Judiasm. With Passover approaching, now is a great time to learn about why Jewish people celebrate this holiday each year. It also leads us right into the next Sunday School workshop cycle, which is on Holy Communion.Of course, I jumped at the chance to host a modified Seder meal, which is the meal held traditionally on the first night of Passover. I borrowed a Seder plate from a local synagouge, and read up on how to make Charoset (apples, nuts, raisins, etc.) and how to display the matzah. The kids have had a great time learning about this meal, that was actually the one Jesus used at the Last Supper. Frankly ... I've learned a ton too. A bonus? Out of necessity (I needed extra hands) Dennis has been helping me each weekend. We make a good team, and it's nice to have a photographer too! One note about the contents of the Seder plate (above) - I've learned you're supposed to ROAST the lamb shank bone, but I failed to read up on that before packing everything for last week's meal. I opted to keep the uncooked bone (which a butcher had so nicely prepared for me at Publix) in a plastic baggie. Today (no picture) I used a piece of pretend food from Abby and Tyler's playroom. It was much less icky!

No comments: