This is the first time I've posted a Works for me Wednesday (WFMW) post, although I've read them countless times on fellow blogger's blogs. And, this actually isn't a true WFMW, because I haven't included "my idea" as a link on the official site (rocksinmydryer.net), mostly because I think it could be a derivation of something I started after reading a past WFMW. But, I think this idea has some merit, and I thought I'd share. For a couple years now, our family has kept a basket of books in the living room for the kids to peruse throughout the day. Their books are kept in their bedrooms, but sometimes you just want to grab a book and read while you're waiting for Mommy to get ready or something, so we keep them handy! During the holidays, this basket is filled with holiday-appropriate books, and during non-holiday months, it usually holds our current library books. Well, I'm ashamed to say that it's been about a month since my last trip to the library with the kids. Abby brings home two "baggie books" each night, as well as a new book each day from her school media center ... which keeps us on our toes. Also, we just haven't made it to our Thursday morning story time recently, which is where we usually get books. Since our next set of holiday books doesn't come down from the attic until Easter ... I started having the kids collect books from their rooms (themed of course!) to fill the basket periodically. First we did winter books (and books about reading, because our winter collection was somewhat lacking!) ... i.e. penguins, snow, etc. And, I'm happy to report, the kids loved it. The selection included some board books that Tyler could "read" by himself, lots of picture books that Abby could read alone or to Tyler, and some harder books that we read together. This week, the theme is dogs. Some of the upcoming themes the kids and I brainstormed:
- love and friendship
- Dr. Seuss
- cats
- trains
- counting
- insects (and maybe even a whole week on butterflies)
- bears
- alphabet
- farm
2 comments:
Great idea...we created a "reading nook" in Emily's room a while back and next to her big pillow where she sits to read is a basket that we fill with "themed" books that she picks out. It's fun, we've had several different themes so far, Princess, Barbie, Fairy, dDogs, Arthur, horses, etc. We actually haven't changed the theme in quite a while, I think I might do that with her tonight. Thanks for the reminder. :)
I love the idea. I'm going to create that with the girls tonight. We have books in each of their rooms, but they like to read out in the family room with us the best. Thanks for the great idea.
Post a Comment