Thursday, March 5, 2009

For the Birds!

Seriously, this project was "for the birds," but I have a sneaking suspicion my friends (NOT!), our neighborhood squirrels, might benefit as well! I mean REALLY ... they terrorize us for weeks, and we FINALLY get rid of them, only to put out a treat for them now! Whatever...This project is another Abby found in her High Five (Highlights) magazine. She actually added a note to one of my to-do lists she found in the kitchen this weekend, then she badgered Dennis and I about purchasing the sunflower seeds. I AM glad we finally got around to this activity though, and that we were able to find a time to do it with Tyler too, as he enjoys anything involving peanut butter (notice the outstretched finger in this picture. He couldn't stop tasting)! We spread a bit of the gooey stuff onto a pinecone ... starting with a table knife. But, we found it was much easier with our fingers! Then, we just sprinkled on the sunflower seeds and tied a piece of yarn around the top of the pincones so we could hang them from a tree branch. Turns out Abby is now a sunflower seed fan ... which is great news! She's so picky about nuts and such. The cutest part of the whole thing is the sign Abby made and put near the tree so the birds know what's going on (I guess!). At the bottom of this tree, which is right outside the playroom windows where we can keep an eye on our creations, she posted a sign that says "Bird Restaurant." I think she opted NOT to add, what I thought was a clever suggestion: Bon Appe-TWEET!

No comments: