Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Would I? Could I?

You BET I could! Your eyes aren't foolin' you ... those are GREEN EGGS (ham not pictured) in honor of Dr. Seuss' 105th birthday, which was yesterday! How "would we, could we" NOT celebrate these great, classic family books? Plus, you know me ... I'm all about livening up dinner with an impromtu birthday party and double dose of food crafts! Dennis was running late, so we did baths first last night, and the kids helped me pull random party plates, napkins and hats from our "party bins" to create a wacky "Seussical" birthday table. I personally don't think Dennis was shocked to see the green eggs (I'm apt to food color anything here ... I mean it IS called FOOD coloring, right!?) ... he was a good sport!
Tyler ate them up (pun intended), unlike Abby. It was pretty funny. We fished Green Eggs and Ham out of our Seuss-inspired book container and read her the part about trying foods you don't think you'll like. All three of us played the part of Sam-I-Am, saying, "Would you eat them in a house? Would you eat them with a mouse? Would you eat them here or there?" Of course, Abby's response: "I will not eat them anywhere!" was much cuter than it would have been at an average, non-Seuss dinner! She eventually did try the eggs, and Tyler tried ... but wasn't sold on ... his ham, which I showed restraint with and did NOT color green.
However, he did like his "truffula trees" (actually just broccoli renamed in honor of another Seuss favorite, The Lorax). When dinner was done, Dennis read The Cat in the Hat while the kids and I made some cute little Dr. Seuss hats using the ingredients below. Personally, I don't care for Gummi Savers and icing together ... especially with a Nilla-ish wafer. But, they did look cute! So, I leave you with this thought about the oh-so-appetizing looking eggs I served my family last night: "You do not like them. So you say. Try them! Try them! And you may. Try them and you may, I say." They're actually pretty good! More Seuss projects going on here this week. We'll try to take some pictures as we have our fun!

No comments: