Sunday, February 8, 2009

GOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAALLLL!

We were in charge of snacks for this week's soccer game. Do you like the soccer ball detailing on the PB&J sandwiches we made with the Pampered Chef Cut'nSeal? I don't know that the kids appreciated them as much as the cookies and other sugary treats parents have brought in previous weeks. But, I stuck with the traditional: cut oranges, grapes and raisins. We'll get enough sugar this week with all of the Valentines treats!On to the real business of this post ...
an entry by Assistant Soccer Coach Dennis:
Well, I'm thrilled to report the Foxes finally scored a goal! And not just one, but two! One during each game of yesterday's double header. We actually lost both games but you'd never know it from the kids. (Or the coaches.)
But there's more. Abby got the assist on the second goal! The Foxes rushed the opposition's net and Abby found herself in the midst of heavy traffic with a point-blank shot on goal. Schnittker kicked. It was close, but her shot bounced back off the keeper's legs (not so much a save as just being in the way) and a split second later Abby's teammate Lydia took a second shot that went in. Clearly an assist for Miss A. I was at the far end of the field at the time. Some of the other kids reacted in traditional soccer goal style (running and screaming), but Abby just stood there and looked right at me from across the field with a small smile of satisifaction. I was very proud.
NOTE: Abby thinks she scored the goal, and I've tried to explain the concept of an assist, but she still seems to think she scored. Who cares! She's our MVP!
The Foxes have definitely shown progress from the beginning of the season and I'm glad the team really seemed to genuinely have fun this weekend. Two games left (another double header next Saturday). Maybe we'll get a win yet! Okay ... Mandy here now. Dennis was so into yesterday's games, I thought he would enjoying sharing that news above with you. I think he has a future coaching our kids' sports teams. One last thing: whether we win or not, our team parents always make a tunnel for the Foxes so they can run through like champions ... ... as you can see, little brothers like running through too!

3 comments:

Dennis said...

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! YOU PUT THE SANDWICHES BEFORE THE ASSIST?! Some sports reporter you are, blog lady Mandy! By the way, you forgot to mention the really awesome buffalo chicken fingers you made a week ago--when the STEELERS WON THE SUPER BOWL! You're lucky I love you!

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS....AAAAABBBBBY. Mozart and Grandan are VERY excited to hear about the "goal"! Can't wait to see you play on the 21st.
Grandan

Mandy Schnittker said...

Oh, but I DID blog about the Buffalo Chicken Fingers I made for the Super Bowl. Don't underestimate me, honey! :) Now, in my defense, those WERE really cute sandwiches on Saturday!