Anyway, we've been having some trying nights recently ... as Tyler just WON'T stay in his own bed. For awhile, it wasn't a problem if he crawled in during the wee hours of the morning, but recently he has been making his break before we even call it a night. Last week, Dennis was on the phone, walking around talking, and I was somewhere (probably here at the computer). I went across the house to check on everyone, and Tyler's door was open ... and he wasn't there. Dennis, at this point was standing in our room (which was lit up like Christmas) right by the bed, and when I came in all panicked, we discovered Tyler passed out in the bright room, on top of the covers, sleeping right through Dennis' loud conversation.
Needless to say, Tyler has not been getting good sleep, and neither are we, because he kicks and turns sideways all night long. Also, he has screaming fits a couple of times a night and it wakes everyone up! So, what should we do? Both of us agree he needs a bigger bed that he can stretch out in (so that's in the works) ... but in the meantime, we need him to stay in his bed. So, we took the approach that often works best in this house - BRIBERY! Tyler stayed in his bed on Sunday night (so he got a new book), and he stayed in his bed again last night, so he got a piece of candy after his cereal this morning. Hadn't intended it to go down that way, but I guess I didn't explain when exactly the candy would be given! Oh well. He was one happy camper this morning. Here he is looking all "big boyish" waiting for our carpool to pick him up for preschool. It was chilly, so I told him I was watching for Kelly's car from inside ... thank you very much!
2 comments:
Poor little guy, Mandy, it sounds like Tyler is having "night terrors", Emily went through that too, right at about the same age as Tyler, maybe a little bit younger. There doesn't seem to be an explanation for why they are kicking and yelling, but it's almost impossible to calm them down. It seems like it will last forever, but it won't. Emily got past it, it was very hard though while she was going through it, for all of us! I feel your pain! :(
Oh, those 3-year-old Schnittkers boys! Eric has been spending more nights than we would like in our bed. It seemed to have started around the time John and his family were here and then continued off and on getting worse when he was sick. We also struggled with sleep issues with Anna. We NEVER thought we would get through the Anna issues and now she sleeps in her bed fine. Just do what you have to do to get through it in a way that is best for everyone. No one is good on a bad night's sleep! This too shall pass...
Post a Comment