
Recently, Abby has been making good use of her dictionary, which was given to her by Grammy and Grandan for Christmas. We're brainstorming topics for the school science fair, so Abby used the dictionary to look up words she needed help spelling as she listed project ideas. I had to scratch my head when she wrote, "Colour" Wonders ... and "yogurt" though. Turns out this dictionary was printed in Australia. Never fear, the American spellings for the two words above are included in the "foreign words" section in the front of the book. Other words that made Abby scratch her head: favourite and tyre. Maybe we should keep our eyes open for an American dictionary! But, it WAS a great gift G&G. She's using it like a pro, and I've found myself using the phrase I hated hearing from you guys growing up: "Why don't you go and look it up in your dictionary!" That used to frustrate me to no end. I believe my response was always, "Well, how can I look up the spelling if that's what I'm
asking you?" Parents ... ugh! And now I'm one of them!
No comments:
Post a Comment