Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Wild and Crazy Disney Day!

Animal Kingdom ... that's where we spent all day Saturday, while in Orlando for Easter. It was just us (and a thousand or so other people!) ... and we had a GREAT time! We got there right after it opened, and really did have the park to ourselves until about 10:00. Then everyone began to arrive ... but that's what we get for going on a holiday weekend! Fortunately, we had gotten FastPasses for a few big rides/attractions. Abby shocked all of us by conquering the "Yeti" on the Expedition to Everest roller coaster. Here she is by the "You must be one Yeti foot tall to ride" sign.
She did it once, but we couldn't convince her to ride with Dennis using the second FastPass. Oh well, I guess once IS enough for a five-year old (almost six!) By far, our favorite thing at Animal Kingdom is the Safari ride. We did this twice, and since Dennis and I both snapped MANY pictures, I'll put those in a separate post. Here are some shots from the rest of our day.
Can you believe we were this close to the tigers? I took these shots through the glass, but if it hadn't been there, we could have reached out and touched these big kitties!
I just love the decor at Animal Kingdom ... so colorful! You sometimes DO feel as if you're traveling across the world: to Africa, then Asia ... out in the jungle, etc.
King Louie (and Baloo behind him!) from The Jungle Book ... and our two monkeys!
The with another monkey ... this time, Rafiki from The Lion King. Dennis wondered (if we asked nicely) if Rafiki would hold Tyler up in the air like he did Simba in the beginning of The Lion King movie! The kids don't know this guy real well, but I remember Jiminy Cricket well from my childhood Disney days.
How about this gorilla, just hanging out with a "woe is me" arm flung across his face? A couple hours later (we stayed through dinnertime), I would have paid the Animal Kingdom staff to let me take a load off like this very smart gorilla ... in a cage, or not! I would have cared where!
We had loads of fun in Camp Minnie Mickey. The got rid of the Pocahontas show (much to Dennis' dismay) and made a kid-friendly area where you can hear stories, greet characters and dance with them too.

No comments: