Tuesday, July 29, 2008

FLASHBACK: WHALE of a Good Time!

Anyone who has visited our house probably knows about the local whales. Since 2005 (when we moved to this end of town), we've rubbernecked to see the sculptures as we've driven down Centerville Road. But, Abby and Tyler are the real fans ... and over the past year, the whales have become an obsession. They have to check daily to see how "their friends" are doing, and they want to know if the water is dripping off their fins (yes ... there are even water features on these whales!), etc, etc. So, when a new whale "broke ground" this spring, I thought a field trip was in order. I wrote the homeowner a letter and asked what he would think of having a group of preschoolers visit his front yard. He said to bring 'em on ... so at the very beginning of April, we went "whalewatching!"Mr. Brinson, who is an electrician, loved telling us all about the whales ... how he came up with the concept (it was after September 11th) and what each name symbolizes (Faith, Hope, and Glory). He introduced us to Grace, the newest whale, and told us about his friends that help with construction, plastering, painting, and plumbing when it comes to creating the whales. The kids loved seeing these larger than life creatures and asking questions. Abby, Tyler and I actually came up with two questions each before we went. Since this was way back in the spring, I can't remember the questions exactly, but I know theirs cracked me up! At the end of our visit, Tyler and Hayden decided this whale deserved a high five!

No comments: