The story: Dennis stayed home to complete a LONG morning of yard work, so I took both children to church. Abby actually goes to church, but Tyler visits the "nursery," where he can play and just be his loud, wiggly three-year old self! Then after church, we pick him up and escort both of them to their Sunday School classrooms upstairs. I realize Tyler probably thought he "did his time" yesterday morning, and didn't want me to be dropping him off again, but we discussed the plan in the car and I reminded him that we didn't need tears this morning (he has resisted - a.k.a. thrown a huge fit - Sunday School a couple times previously) because Mommy was "flying solo!" Also, I was teaching a Baptism lesson, to 3rd graders this week, in a Sunday School class on the other side of the building. But, he threw a fit alright, and I ended up having to take a moody three-year old to the class I was teaching. Not only that, he kept interrupting the lesson, almost fell out of his chair (three times!), and I had to help him complete the experiment we were doing (a messy one at that) while teaching the kids. And, did I mention I lost my voice and have a cold!? Then, I had to cart Tyler with me back and forth to the bathroom down the hall as I cleaned up my mess, straightened the room, etc. in an effort to get BACK across the building to get Abby by the time her class was done. So, I thought a punishment was in order ... mainly because he broke his word to me ... and generally drove me crazy (not a long trip!) Did I overreact? Would you have given Green Monkey a timeout? Talk amongst yourselves. Well, actually - please share your thoughts by taking my poll (see the right hand side of this blog)!
Monday, January 26, 2009
Poor Green Monkey
"Green Monkey" (a very original name, I know!) is one of Tyler's favorite stuffed animals (he was a present from Grammy & Grandan the day Ty was born) ... but he's hanging out on top of the refrigerator for the next day or so.
A cruel punishment for a pretty minor "crime" (which I'll explain), but I think this is a lesson Tyler will remember. Abby has had several books put up on top of the refrigerator (when she needs a behavior wakeup call!), and if the kids are fighting over something ... it goes up there too (out of sight, out of mind!) But, Green Monkey got his sentence yesterday after Tyler sabotaged our morning at Sunday School. Most parental decisions don't give me guilt, but this one is. Especially because Tyler asked this morning if Green Monkey could come down. Then, he told Abby, "Mommy says I still can't have Green Monkey back!" Oy! Read on, then vote for what YOU think I should have done/and should do now on our blog homepage. Hey ... they say raising a child takes a village, right!?
The story: Dennis stayed home to complete a LONG morning of yard work, so I took both children to church. Abby actually goes to church, but Tyler visits the "nursery," where he can play and just be his loud, wiggly three-year old self! Then after church, we pick him up and escort both of them to their Sunday School classrooms upstairs. I realize Tyler probably thought he "did his time" yesterday morning, and didn't want me to be dropping him off again, but we discussed the plan in the car and I reminded him that we didn't need tears this morning (he has resisted - a.k.a. thrown a huge fit - Sunday School a couple times previously) because Mommy was "flying solo!" Also, I was teaching a Baptism lesson, to 3rd graders this week, in a Sunday School class on the other side of the building. But, he threw a fit alright, and I ended up having to take a moody three-year old to the class I was teaching. Not only that, he kept interrupting the lesson, almost fell out of his chair (three times!), and I had to help him complete the experiment we were doing (a messy one at that) while teaching the kids. And, did I mention I lost my voice and have a cold!? Then, I had to cart Tyler with me back and forth to the bathroom down the hall as I cleaned up my mess, straightened the room, etc. in an effort to get BACK across the building to get Abby by the time her class was done. So, I thought a punishment was in order ... mainly because he broke his word to me ... and generally drove me crazy (not a long trip!) Did I overreact? Would you have given Green Monkey a timeout? Talk amongst yourselves. Well, actually - please share your thoughts by taking my poll (see the right hand side of this blog)!
The story: Dennis stayed home to complete a LONG morning of yard work, so I took both children to church. Abby actually goes to church, but Tyler visits the "nursery," where he can play and just be his loud, wiggly three-year old self! Then after church, we pick him up and escort both of them to their Sunday School classrooms upstairs. I realize Tyler probably thought he "did his time" yesterday morning, and didn't want me to be dropping him off again, but we discussed the plan in the car and I reminded him that we didn't need tears this morning (he has resisted - a.k.a. thrown a huge fit - Sunday School a couple times previously) because Mommy was "flying solo!" Also, I was teaching a Baptism lesson, to 3rd graders this week, in a Sunday School class on the other side of the building. But, he threw a fit alright, and I ended up having to take a moody three-year old to the class I was teaching. Not only that, he kept interrupting the lesson, almost fell out of his chair (three times!), and I had to help him complete the experiment we were doing (a messy one at that) while teaching the kids. And, did I mention I lost my voice and have a cold!? Then, I had to cart Tyler with me back and forth to the bathroom down the hall as I cleaned up my mess, straightened the room, etc. in an effort to get BACK across the building to get Abby by the time her class was done. So, I thought a punishment was in order ... mainly because he broke his word to me ... and generally drove me crazy (not a long trip!) Did I overreact? Would you have given Green Monkey a timeout? Talk amongst yourselves. Well, actually - please share your thoughts by taking my poll (see the right hand side of this blog)!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I couldn't just vote, my answer is too wordy. When you sent green monkey away did you specify a time when he would return? If so, I would say that you need to keep your word so the kids don't think that begging and whining will change you mind. HOWEVER, if you truly feel that Tyler has learned his lesson about why GM was sent away, then explain that "Mommy was wrong to send him away so long" and that is why you are giving him back. I think that kids need to know that Mom and Dad make mistakes too, which is a good way to let them know why we still need Jesus as adults. :-) I have lots of days that I have to apologize because i spoke to them in anger or gave an "unjust" punishment because i did it in anger rather than in trying to build their character. I have a friend who challenges me to think, "what am I trying to accomplish" when I discipline. It helps to know if the punishment fits the crime! (I really had to do that last week when Eric got water ALL OVER the basement. He started out trying to "wash the (play) dishes to get ready for the festibal" which was just childish behavior - but he headed into foolish behavior when he began filling up items with water and pouring them into the chair and one the floor just to make Brady laugh - that was the punishable offense) I hope this helps...yes, raising children does take a village, lots of detective work and even more PRAYER!! Love you all! Oh, glad you like the science book, we love it too!
I voted for I'll buy him a new green monkey. You're right, that answer was tailor-made for me. :)
You are a wonderful mother! When dealing with a child as bright as Tyler, now is the time to teach him that he must do as you tell him because you love him and will always do what is best for him.
Post a Comment