Thursday, January 3, 2008

CHICKEN = CHICKEN?

Well, we knew it was bound to occur to her soon!

Yesterday, Abby just might have made a connection. Could it be that chicken - the funny bird she sings about in the Old MacDonald song, the one she speaks like on a frequent basis (see entry from December on this blog), the kind she visits at the Tallahassee Museum farm exhibit - may actually be the same as the chicken she eats at ...

Uh Oh! Believe me, I would have been quite happy to let her live her life thinking there were two different kinds of chicken (Abby has always asked, "Now are you talking about chicken the animal or chicken the food?") but she's getting wise in her old age (4-1/2). Yesterday, Abby asked me what happens when a chicken dies. I believe she said, "Mommy - what kind of chicken is it then?" Of course, I answered her like any mature adult would. I said, "you know Abby, the person who could answer that question best is ... your daddy!"

Goodness, I definitely don't want to be around this summer in Iowa when she starts wondering about the fate of the cows on Grandma and Grandpa's farm. I know it put Dennis through college ... but I'm still in denial about that whole thing myself! :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not to worry sweetie...someday you'll grow up and we can tell you the real truth! In the meantime, keep sending her to Dennis :-)