I taught the kids about polar bears, and led them in an experiment to see firsthand how the animals stay warm in the freezing Arctic weather. Did you know polar bears have 4-5 inches of blubber under their 2 layers of fur!?! The kids had to dip their hands in some ice-filled water, then try it again with some special "blubber gloves" (ziploc bags lined with a layer of Crisco!) to experience the cold the way polar bears do. It really IS fun! Last fall, when the science teacher was out with a broken foot, I got to sub and teach the kids about spiders and pumpkins!Saturday, January 12, 2008
Polar Bears - more than Coca-Cola spokesmen!
On Friday, I had the opportunity to sub for the science teacher at Abby and Tyler's preschool. While science was never my favorite subject in school (nor the one that I got the best grades in!) I LOVE when they ask me to fill in for the preschool science teacher. It's so fun to build the lesson plan and to actually find the children are interested in what I am saying!
I taught the kids about polar bears, and led them in an experiment to see firsthand how the animals stay warm in the freezing Arctic weather. Did you know polar bears have 4-5 inches of blubber under their 2 layers of fur!?! The kids had to dip their hands in some ice-filled water, then try it again with some special "blubber gloves" (ziploc bags lined with a layer of Crisco!) to experience the cold the way polar bears do. It really IS fun! Last fall, when the science teacher was out with a broken foot, I got to sub and teach the kids about spiders and pumpkins!
I taught the kids about polar bears, and led them in an experiment to see firsthand how the animals stay warm in the freezing Arctic weather. Did you know polar bears have 4-5 inches of blubber under their 2 layers of fur!?! The kids had to dip their hands in some ice-filled water, then try it again with some special "blubber gloves" (ziploc bags lined with a layer of Crisco!) to experience the cold the way polar bears do. It really IS fun! Last fall, when the science teacher was out with a broken foot, I got to sub and teach the kids about spiders and pumpkins!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Well aren't you just full of good information Mindy Sue! Rather than lather up a Zip-Loc bag with Crisco, I believe I'll just take your word for it. Perhaps to keep your interest in school years ago, the teachers should have you teach a class or two :-)
Post a Comment