I'm about to pull my hair out! I just had to turn into "mean mommy" to get my kids to listen to me! Now, I'm not saying I was yelling at them or anything ... but to get their attention, I once again had to employ the kind of no-nonsense tactics my parents used with me years ago. Although Abby and Tyler have oodles of toys, games and ... well, each other (!) to play with - both of them were just rolling around (wrestling on the floor) looking bored, and annoying the cat! I told them they better find an activity in the playroom or one of their rooms ... or all the fun spots were "closin' to business!" Well, guess what ... I went around shutting doors! Funny thing is that they were instantly upset that they couldn't access all of those fun things they had just been ignoring! Both burst into tears ... we had a heart-to-heart, and I agreed to open ONE of the rooms. Now, I don't know for sure what they're doing (because I've been posting this blog) but they have been across the house since, in Tyler's room, playing nicely together, and there is NO audible screaming! I KNOW my parents did things like this ... and I bet Dennis' did too! I can actually recall my mom pulling all of the "rubble" (clothes, toys, books, etc.) into the middle of my room when I was young, and threatening to throw it away if I did not clean up the pile. I usually did, but one time, I do think it all went into a trash bag for an hour or so! Good scare tactic Mom! Why is it that the same things that used to drive Aaron and I NUTS are the only things that work? We truly hate it when our parents are right, huh?
Friday, January 4, 2008
Mean Mommy!
Well,
I'm about to pull my hair out! I just had to turn into "mean mommy" to get my kids to listen to me! Now, I'm not saying I was yelling at them or anything ... but to get their attention, I once again had to employ the kind of no-nonsense tactics my parents used with me years ago. Although Abby and Tyler have oodles of toys, games and ... well, each other (!) to play with - both of them were just rolling around (wrestling on the floor) looking bored, and annoying the cat! I told them they better find an activity in the playroom or one of their rooms ... or all the fun spots were "closin' to business!" Well, guess what ... I went around shutting doors! Funny thing is that they were instantly upset that they couldn't access all of those fun things they had just been ignoring! Both burst into tears ... we had a heart-to-heart, and I agreed to open ONE of the rooms. Now, I don't know for sure what they're doing (because I've been posting this blog) but they have been across the house since, in Tyler's room, playing nicely together, and there is NO audible screaming! I KNOW my parents did things like this ... and I bet Dennis' did too! I can actually recall my mom pulling all of the "rubble" (clothes, toys, books, etc.) into the middle of my room when I was young, and threatening to throw it away if I did not clean up the pile. I usually did, but one time, I do think it all went into a trash bag for an hour or so! Good scare tactic Mom! Why is it that the same things that used to drive Aaron and I NUTS are the only things that work? We truly hate it when our parents are right, huh?
I'm about to pull my hair out! I just had to turn into "mean mommy" to get my kids to listen to me! Now, I'm not saying I was yelling at them or anything ... but to get their attention, I once again had to employ the kind of no-nonsense tactics my parents used with me years ago. Although Abby and Tyler have oodles of toys, games and ... well, each other (!) to play with - both of them were just rolling around (wrestling on the floor) looking bored, and annoying the cat! I told them they better find an activity in the playroom or one of their rooms ... or all the fun spots were "closin' to business!" Well, guess what ... I went around shutting doors! Funny thing is that they were instantly upset that they couldn't access all of those fun things they had just been ignoring! Both burst into tears ... we had a heart-to-heart, and I agreed to open ONE of the rooms. Now, I don't know for sure what they're doing (because I've been posting this blog) but they have been across the house since, in Tyler's room, playing nicely together, and there is NO audible screaming! I KNOW my parents did things like this ... and I bet Dennis' did too! I can actually recall my mom pulling all of the "rubble" (clothes, toys, books, etc.) into the middle of my room when I was young, and threatening to throw it away if I did not clean up the pile. I usually did, but one time, I do think it all went into a trash bag for an hour or so! Good scare tactic Mom! Why is it that the same things that used to drive Aaron and I NUTS are the only things that work? We truly hate it when our parents are right, huh?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
What's that saying..."what goes around, comes around." I guess that's what life is all about. We take some of the things our parents did with us (not all of them)and try them out with our own children. Some work, some don't. What's fun is to see your own children (that would be you Mandy) doing new and different things that work just as well, if not better. That means we did our job well...SMILE, SMILE.
Post a Comment