Thursday, January 17, 2008

Abby Minds Her Ps and Qs!


Yesterday, Abby had the first in a series of Junior Cotillion classes. She'll go every Tuesday for the next four weeks, and as she'll tell you ... "she's learning her manners!" I actually went to Cotillion when I was young (they used to just do it in 5th grade, but have now started a program for kids as young as Pre-K 4) ... and I really enjoyed it. Abby reports she loved the class - she can't wait to go back next week. While I learned some ballroom dancing and how to conduct myself in a receiving line, Abby's curiculum is a bit different (greeting adults, introducing yourself, good sportsmanship, table manners, phone etiquette, gift giving and receiving, etc)! Sounds pretty simple ... but I wouldn't trade places with the director to save my life, as she had her hands full yesterday with a dozen 4-5 year olds (they played musical chairs if that gives you any idea!). They were all very excited to be there, and I think "Peanuts the Polite Elephant" got them riled up even more. He helps the director show what NOT to do ... and serves as comic relief I guess. The last week, they will have a birthday party for Peanuts ... where they can practice everything they learned. They also will show off their skills to the parents. Thanks Grammy and Grandan for footing the bill for this manners crash course for our little lady!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an angel!!!!! I would love that picture of Abby. So glad she enjoyed it. I think it's great for them to learn things early on. This way they have more time to "practice" throughout their life. Mandy...I guess the director did not remind you of Gay Smith :-)

Anonymous said...

I am glad to see that Abby does not have "chandeliers" on her ears!