Can't end this post without telling you about my run in with the lunch lady. Not ever having been a big cafeteria-lunch purchaser myself, I've never understood the gripes people have with these women (I realize I'm stereotyping ... but indulge me). Until today! Although we got the info to do so back in August, I've never set up Abby's lunch "debit account." The other two times she purchased lunch, I just sent cash in that morning. Today, I didn't send any money, since I'd be joining her. But, I guess the lunch lady who runs the register doesn't like to do it that way. She was COMPLETELY thrown by the fact that I wanted to pay for Abby's lunch and my own. She told me Abby should have entered her PIN this morning with the class lunch order. I nicely explained to her that there's NO money in that account, and I told her, "Just charge me for two parent meals." More money for me, yes ... but no biggie! However, the lady couldn't get past the fact that Abby was a student, and she wouldn't let me buy two parent meals. Mrs. Shaw was called over, and had to write Abby's name down on a list of kids who would have their accounts deducted later (again ... NO money in that account). So, I had to give Mrs. Shaw Abby's $1.50 to pay the school back later, all since the lady wouldn't ring it up for me. Seriously! But, kind of funny in a Seinfeld way, if you think about it!
Thursday, November 20, 2008
Loonies Who Lunch!
So I could have been "lunching" by myself, or with well-behaved adults, but instead I opted to lunch with Abby, Tyler ... and the rest of the Roberts' kindergarteners today! Next week is Abby's Thanksgiving party/feast in her classroom, but today was the schoolwide turkey lunch in the cafeteria. I thought Tyler would enjoy eating with Abby in her "big kid cafeteria" ... and boy, did he! I will tell you that there wasn't much eating going on though. I debated whether to post this photo or not ... but it's a good example of how it all went down at lunch (if you can call it that ... our designated time was 10:10 AM!). Tyler didn't like the turkey (I love how exasperated Abby looks) ... 
But he was all about the "smarshmallows" (that's what he calls them) that topped the sweet potatoes. Incidentally, the sweet potatoes were the only thing Abby didn't like ... she even ate stuffing (!), but they agreed on one thing: Chocolate Milk was the best thing about Thanksgiving lunch. Doubt that was on the menu back in the old times!
Today, half the kids in Abby's class were Pilgrims and half were Indians. Next week, they will switch, so Abby will get to show off her Native American vest then. Wow! Those are some nice vests ... wish I knew who cut them all out?! Oh ... it was me! :) That's how I got the brown paper scraps for our Thankful Tree.
(From left to right are: Finn, Ricky, Christopher, Leighton, and the lone Pilgrim in this picture, our little Abby)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment