Sunday, July 18, 2010

Birthday Getaway


A couple weekends ago, Dennis was turning the big 4-0, so we decided a weekend getaway was in order. Grandan helped hook us up with a great resort over in Panama City Beach, and Grammy came up to play babysitter. What fun we had! There were MANY pools, a long pier with a waterside bar, and a little beach on the bay ... lined with lots of little sea creatures.



We had a great time just laying by the pool, then walking out to have a drink and bite to eat at "Limes," the bar at the end of the pier.



On Saturday night, we took a speedboat tour on the "Sea Screamer." This was us before the boat left the dock ...



And although you can't tell how much we're moving, this is Dennis once the Screamer began bobbing along on the water. The Gulf was VERY choppy that evening, and standing wasn't the best option. Although we DID stand along the rail ... and we got VERY wet!



We also saw dolphins right along side the boat ... so cool!





All the kids on board (and the birthday boys!) got to drive the boat. Keep us on course Captain Dennis!


Amazing how full the docks were ... lots of fishing boats, because with the oil spill, none of them are able to work. It's so sad! I am happy to report though, that the beaches were oil free! Coincidentally, the day after we left the area, Michelle Obama rolled into town to report the same thing. Michelle, I could have saved you a trip! :)


Since the waters were so choppy, our tour guide made a few stops along the way ... one at Gracie Mae's, a local seafood restaurant right on the water. We waited a bit longer than I thought was necessary, but then we learned it's because they were cooking up a fresh batch of Hush Puppies, just for our boat! Dennis and I both caught one ... and boy were they yummy, but we agreed we felt like sea gulls trying to catch a handout!






When we docked at the Boatyard and got off the boat, Dennis and I were able to see up close the crabs our "first mate" had caught for the kids on board. They were just going to let everyone check them out, then throw them back. Somehow, I was coaxed into holding one. BAD IDEA ... and it was even worse that Dennis was ready with the camera.
I was wary at first ...


Then I freaked out ...





And THEN, I was fine for a moment or two ...



... until he moved! And, what did I do!?! I got a case of the heebie jeebies and tossed the poor spider crab across the deck of the boat! Fortunately, all of the kids (who had been carefully instructed on the correct crab-holding method) had left by that point!

The next morning, I woke up next to an old man! Yes, he's 40 now!



We spent a leisurely morning by the pool, reading the paper ...





... but then we amped it up with a couple hours out in the gulf on waverunners! It was SUCH fun. Unfortunately, this is the only picture we have now ... more to come when a fellow water lover sends us his shots. But, it was a great way to ring in Dennis' birthday.

2 comments:

The Smith Family said...

Love the birthday pics! Mandy, you look like Kate Gosslin in the pictures holding the crab...hilarious! :)

Grammy/Linda said...

You need to have more week-end get-aways. Dennis, you certainly don't look like you're 40...really you don't!