Thursday, July 22, 2010

Random!

I've had a note here about a couple things to share ... just some recent events that have made me chuckle (although some began in horror and ended with a chuckle!) Enjoy.

CHUCKLE #1: Tyler just can't seem to grasp the name of the store "Publix." He has never been able to say it. In fact, to this day he pronounces it "Pubs-lix" instead. But the most recent confusion has occurred when I tell him he really shouldn't do something "in public." Here's a sample conversation from this past week:

Me: Tyler, take your hands out of your pants ... it's not nice to walk around the house with them in there and you definitely don't want to do it in public!
Tyler: Mommy, I promise I won't do it when we're in Publix.

But remember, he pronounces it Pubs-lix, which just adds to the humor. Now, I haven't even addressed what he's doing with his hands down his pants! I can only tell you Tyler, at age 4, is quite a little man. A preschool Al Bundy, if you will!


CHUCKLE #2: Let's stick with Tyler for a moment. Some of you, who follow me on Facebook, might have heard about this first for our family. Neither of our children have ever been "draw on the walls, climb the fences, test the outlets" type of kids. I know many of those kids, but as a teacher at Advent once put it, our two seem to "know their world," a.k.a. their boundaries. Well, Tyler crossed the line last week. I was on the computer and Tyler was watching TV, when I assume he mindlessly found a small (but not VERY small) battery lying about and stuck it up his nose.

The perpetrator was a "LR44 alkaline cell" battery. Marked in this picture with its other name - AG13, it's a (and a I quote from Wikipedia) "button cell alkaline battery, commonly used in small LED flashlights, digital thermometers and calipers, watches, clocks, and laser pointers."

We could add to that description: the LR-44 battery fits just great in a 4-year old's nostril! When Tyler came running in for help, he was sticking his finger up in his nose ... pushing the battery farther up in there. In "mom school" they don't teach you what to do in this situation, so I improvised. We held the other nostril closed and I told Ty to act like a cow and snort it out. Would you believe it worked!?! Amazing. But, even more amazing is that Tyler claimed then ... and still claims today ... that the battery "flew up his nose!" I kid you not. We're now having big discussions about lying!

Chuckle #3: I don't know if this is laugh out loud funny, but it's comical. My mom (sorry Grammy for calling you out!) is kind of struggling with her new Droid smartphone. We just taught her how to send a picture message the other day, but Abby can now text on my phone, use voice search to find something on Google, pull up one of her favorite game applications, and search and download new game apps from the Marketplace. She's SEVEN! Mind you, since I realized she could do all of this, we've prohibited her from touching the phone without asking first, and I've moved the voice search off my home screen. As I told Abby, "Google is great, but how does the voice search application know for sure what you're saying?" There are lots of words out there that rhyme ... and I don't need Google to make a mistake!

Chuckle #4: Look who is on a pop-up ad on the Tallahassee Democrat webpage? And, what mistakes have I made you might ask!!!???

Don't worry ... I'm simply an actor on the teentruth.org site, which was designed by Wahi Media. Some of you may know that Dennis and I have done a bit of on-camera work for them for various clients. But I'm thinking the Department of Health's grant included free banner ads to advertise their new site! I've had friends all over town texting me to ask why they've seen me online. Dennis pulled this off the Tallahassee Democrat's web page so I could share it with all of you family members. Laugh away Mom and Dad ... go ahead. Funny!

1 comment:

Grammy said...

#1 I say Tyler can keep his hands down his pants unless he's with Grammy!!! Maybe he learned it from Uncle Aaron????
#2 Next time Tyler spends some time with his Grammy, I'll get him to "fess up." I love his current answer and also think it's funny that he's sticking to it!
#3 Hey, hey, I can send a picture message. Unfortunately, I can't do much more than that. I'm still trying though.
#4 I love it!!!!!