
You actually don't need binoculars (even these cute homemade ones!) to see what a great time Abby and Tyler had at VBS last week. We've been involved (make that
somewhat involved) at St. John's since Abby was a baby, but we really became invested in the children's programs this past year, when the kids started attending Sunday School. I'm so glad we all participated in Vacation Bible School, as the kids learned a TON, and we all finished the week with a great feeling about our involvement in the church and the sense of community we're establishing! As I've explained in previous posts, the theme last week was "Camp E.D.G.E." So, the whole church was transformed into campsites, mountain tops, etc.

The kids and Dennis helped me make make the art room fit the theme, by papering the walls (thank goodness for hot glue!) and making mountains, waterfalls, etc!

Abby is pointing to the mountain peaks, because she thought it was cool that we covered them with batting. But, Mom, Dad and Aaron, it sure does appear that she's saying, "Look ... there they are!" doesn't it? (a Janet and Judy reference from the 80s)

I painted a mural on another wall (not shown) that we used as a backdrop for our photos later in the week. My favorite part was this sun, which I copied from the Camp E.D.G.E. logo. I couldn't find orange paint, but I did find this sponge in the resource room. Funny ... just about every kid called me out on that. "Do you know you have a sponge in the middle of the sun!?!" Um, YES ... I was being creative, ooooookkkkkay!

Dennis fashioned this cool signpost out of cardboard, and we used plastic tablecloths for the snow below...

Abby and Tyler both had great groups. Of course, Abby and Anabelle were joined at the hip.

But Tyler surprised us by making a new friend. Oh, he enjoyed his little buddies (several from his regular Sunday School class), but he was enamored with Mary Margaret, one of the youth helpers assigned to help his group. She kind of adopted him for the week, which I think made Tyler feel pretty special!


On Sunday, the kids joined about a dozen or so kids who had attended VBS (there were 85 or so in all last week, not even counting the youth helpers) ... and performed some of the songs for the congregation during our 10:00 service. This was so cute. We're really looking forward to participating again next summer! But I think I'll need that long before my hands recover from doctoring paper towel rolls and stapling them into binoculars!
1 comment:
Vacation Bible School! I have fond memories of that when I was growing up. I don't think I missed a summer. I'm so glad the Schnittkers are involved at St. John's. What a wonderful family experience!
Post a Comment