Wednesday, November 25, 2009

For REAL!

Abby, Grammy and Grandan and I went on a date this past weekend to "The Velveteen Rabbit," which was playing as a musical at the FSU School of Theatre. This book is one of my favorites from my childhood, and it holds a special place in my heart. Soon after I graduated from college, my parents gave me a new copy of the book with a beautiful inscription. Here's an excerpt of what the wrote:

"Now that you are an adult, we want to thank you for sharing your childhood with us and allowing us to become Real. As the Skin Horse said, 'Real isn't how you are made ... it's a thing that happens to you. When a child loves you for a long, long time, not just to play with, but REALLY loves you, then you become Real.' Hopefully you will soon begin a new phase of your life and you too will experience the joy and happiness of become Real."

Well, Mom and Dad ... I believe I have. Sitting there in the theater watching my beautiful Abby (who coincidentally is six-years old, just like the character in the book/musical) bubble with excitement about the story that I have always loved, was just perfect! Parenthood is a roller coaster, but I wouldn't trade this REAL adventure in for anything. Dennis and I both believe becoming parents has made us better people. And fortunatelywe have great role models to follow!

No comments: