Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Abby T. Schnittker: First Grader!

I'm happy to report that Abby had a GREAT first day of school yesterday! I know she talked to some of you on the phone, answering each time, "Abby T. Schnittker: First Grader!" (one of her favorites is the "Junie B. Jones: First Grader" book series). Highlights of the day? She was Helper #1 - which was pretty lucky, but mostly has to do with her name and the fact that it begins "Ab." I don't know for sure, but I'm thinking only an "Aaron" would beat her out for first place in alphabetical order ... and we don't have one of those in class this year. Yesterday, as part of her Helper #1 responsibilities, she led the line and fed/cared for the hermit crabs. The class also has a pet corn snake, "Oakster," whom they all got to touch yesterday afternoon! How's that for a first day?Abby was SO excited to start first grade ... as you can see in this photo above. I couldn't get her to stop grinning when we took the traditional first-day photos outside.
But when we got to the school, she instantly went into her little shy shell ... I guess it was all a bit overwhelming. Fortunately, her friend, Nya, from last year is with her in Mrs. McGrane's class. Here's Abby's class website in case any of you ever want to catch up with what they are doing. I believe Mrs. Grane (who is a sorority sister from Theta at FSU ... she's a few years ahead of me) keeps the newsletter/announcments section pretty updated. Abby looks so grown up sitting at her table here. My favorite line of the day yesterday was after school. She told me she kept looking at one of her classmates' nametags and reading the words "first grade" over and over. She said, "I just can't believe I'm so grown up!"Yesterday morning, before the first day of school, Abby and Tyler (who doesn't actually start school until Wednesday) awoke to backpacks/schoolbags full of treats from "The Backpack Fairy." Books, new colored pencils and new BrainQuest cards started their morning off right. And I had to get my morning jumpstarted as well ... with a bit of coffee! There's a lot to do on school mornings, but I ALWAYS make time to write a note. I love these lunchnotes I purchased from my friend Kim, The Polka Dot Press, last year. Unfortunately, I'm getting low. Will have to buy some more!Off to the second day of school, and Tyler's orientation. With us, we'll be taking his teachers a little vase of flowers, like the ones Abby took for Mrs. McGrane yesterday. It's SO simple, just a soup can (but the above one with the crayons was a can of sweetened condensed milk). I used a piece of double stick tape to hold the crayons/pencils in place, and supported them with a rubber band, which I covered with a piece of tied ribbon. That way the teacher can remove the rubber band and use the pencils or crayons in class. Don't give me credit though. I found the idea on one of my favorite blogs ... let's just say I "borrowed" it. I've had it bookmarked for awhile. The following idea is also from that blogger. Abby took a book for Mrs. McGrane, and wrote a note about the upcoming school year. She chose a book about monkeys that get into lots of trouble. Today, we'll go choose a book for Tyler to give his class. Who knew Back to School was such fun ... and that it had so many fun craft ideas?!?

1 comment:

Grammy said...

Oh Abby...you look so pretty as a first grader. You really are grown up. I'm proud of you! Give yourself a big hug and kiss from me to you!