Friday, May 30, 2008

FLASHBACK: Mid-February

Did you know ... that Abby is reading!?!

She started really showing an interest back in February, wanting to help us "read" books by filling in the blanks when we came to words she knew. So, we decided to try some of the Stage 1 or Pre-K level books ... and low and behold, she could do it! We think she has most of the sight words down pat, and lately she has been reading all kinds of things (signs included). While Abby is pretty patient, we do catch her "guessing" when it comes to words she's unsure of, rather than taking her time to sound them out (as she does most words). But, we're so proud of her!
The only bad part of this development? Dennis and I can't spell words out to each other when we don't want her to know what we're up to. An exchange from last night:
Mandy (to Dennis): Oh, just so you know, there is some leftover P-I-E in the refrigerator.
Abby: What's that spell? Pie?
Mandy (Dennis and I both smirk): No, what makes you say that?
Abby: Okay, then spell it again.
Mandy (considering I could spell something different, but pretty much knowing she won this one ... and not wanting to hinder her development, I spell it again) P-I-E
Abby: Oh, pie. We have more Apple Pie ... yummy! When's dessert?
Who told this girl she could grow up so fast?!?

No comments: